As an undermethylator (read more about undermethylation here) it is important for me to include plenty of lean, grass fed meats and wild caught fish in my diet. After discovering a few months ago that I am severely undermethylated and have high copper in my blood (revealed to me by my nutritionist from a whole histamine blood test), I have to eat a mostly lean meats, eggs, plenty of root veggies, (that do not have folate since undermethylators should definitely avoid folate) blueberries, raspberries, apples, gluten free grains, white rice, and fat sources from animal proteins, ghee, olive oil, and coconut oil.
I have learned not only do I have to change my vitamin regimen, I have to change the way I eat and how often I eat too! My food choices are more about nourishing my body and finding foods that taste delicious and healthy. Luckily there are options and I am having fun being creative with lots of new dishes! I will write another blog post all about my experience with undermethylation, but today I want to share a yummy and simple recipe with you that is also gluten free, soy free, egg free, and nut free!
Earthy Salmon Pasta
Gluten Free, Soy Free, Egg Free, Nut Free, Low FODMOP
Tools you will need:
- a medium sized frying pan and spatula
- a spiralizer (or something to make zucchini into pasta)
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 wild caught salmon filets or 8 ounces of salmon (frozen or fresh although most wild caught salmon in the Chicagoland area will be frozen)
- 3-4 medium sized zucchini
- 1 cup of white jasmine rice (I like the Trader Joe’s brand)
- coconut aminos to taste (similar to soy sauce–can be found at Whole Foods or online at Thrive Market)
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Ghee or Coconut Oil)
- 1 Tablespoon of oregano
- 2 teaspoons of thyme
- Pink Himalayan sea salt to taste (I like the Trader Joe’s brand)
- Melt ghee or coconut oil in frying pan on the stovetop over medium heat
- Use your spiralizer to make the zucchini pasta. Set aside on a cutting board or a bowl
- Cook salmon on the frying pan (about 2-3 minutes each side) or until cooked to how you want it). Chop it with the spatula into bite sized pieces in the frying pan and divide into two bowls.
- Add a little extra ghee or coconut oil if desired to the frying pan, toss in the zucchini pasta until tender (2-5 minutes). Add coconut aminos and al the spices. Toss with the spatula until evenly distributed.
- Cook the jasmine rice according to the directions (either on the stove or in the microwave). Add rice to the zucchini pasta and toss for a minute or so.
- Toss the pasta mixture with the cooked salmon. Add extra coconut aminos or oil if desired to your dish. Enjoy!